Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Karma: 1 - Sal Paradise: 0 (and a kick in the junk)

As     I started to rant about in one of my prior posts (if not in all of them) is the extended period of time I’ve been a miserable slave to the industry. One of the downfalls of being a bartender or server for so long (besides the fact you no longer have a soul) is the physical impossibility to simply enjoy a drink or a meal at any other establishment and not becoming a cynically critical observer of x, y, and z. What kind of clientele are they dealing with? Are they really weeded on a Monday night while they’re only pushing, maybe, 12 covers? Is she bullshitting about be able to make a good Manhattan?

    Along the same theme of subconsciously critiquing every element of every new bar or restaurant you patron, you find yourself profiling the specific types of guests who enter your bar. When I say that, I don’t simply mean in a prejudice or racist way at all. Granted there are individuals who personally do that, but it’s already a given that anyone that racist in this day and age is already a d-bag, so we don’t need to waste any of our time on them. The profiling of which I’m referring to holds true to the vast majority of bars and restaurant of the same class. Here, for a couple of examples:

    The Grandma/Grandpa: A staple for lunches at most places. Usually travels in packs, normally the ‘gals’ from Wednesday nite Bridge or the West Chester Knitting Association. Service normally includes 104 refills of iced tea and constant restocking of Splenda packets on table. Reason for avoidance: still under the impression that a $2 tip will suffice on any bill (regardless of amount) as long as the server is given the verbal tip (“I just wanted to let you know what an amazing job you did. You were fantastic!) Most all servers will back up the fact that formal praise of a job well done after the duration of a meal, more times than not, leads to gratuity of <10%.>The $30,000 Millionaire: The still wet behind the ears, UT or Bentley finance graduate who is taking out his new, experienced work peers or the wicked hot intern who he’s trying to impress because she’s the only one with less experience than him at the office. This guy really blows because he loves to talk the talk and then walk the walk, per say, by ordering the most expensive shots and drinks and insists on picking up the rather large bill. Normally, that is a great sequence of events because a large bill normally equals a large tip…but not for this guy. Reason for avoidance: His main goal is to impress everyone…except the bartender. His entry level position barely gives him enough financial freedom to pick up the tab, so subsequently, skimps on the tip every time. He can usually be spotted by being the youngest of a group of CEO-looking businessmen. Keep an eye out for JC Penny suits with the price tags mistakenly still attached from when he bought it a week ago, when he got the job.

    The Stripped Shirt Guy: No need to elaborate on this guy. He’s already been dogged on in past posts, with more to come in the future I’m sure. Simply the epitome of a douche bag.

    The reason I bring up the profiling of guests is that I’m personally guilty of doing so as much as any other server or bartender. I had done so in a shift this past week, when a group of Grandma’s walked in to the patio. Naturally, I tired to pull a server out from the main dining room to take them, but nothing doing. Like clockwork, I refilled tea after tea and entertained story after story about grandsons and granddaughters. As the conclusion of their meal neared, I offered to split up their check, as there were five women eating together, and the chattiest catty of the group said there would be no need as she would be treating all of the other gals. I didn’t think much of it, as getting screwed on one large bill is equally as shitty as getting screwed on five smaller bills. As I dropped the one check off to Marie, I would later find out her name to be, she complimented me on my service and how I reminded her of her grandson in Gainsville, who also goes to school. I took this to be the final nail in the coffin. ‘The Gals’ all said their goodbyes and thanks as they left and I reluctantly picked up the bill-fold after busing their table…

Forty-two dollars.
FORTY-TWO DOLLARS on a tab of $102 with a hand written note which read “Good luck in school! Thank you so much again (-: Here’s a little extra for books!”

    Arguably the best tip I’ve ever gotten in all my years of slinging drinks and waiting tables, and to think, thirty minutes before I was trying to pawn them off on some server. I have never *ever* received a tip that high in percentage and felt SO shitty in my life.

Karma must be involved here in one of two ways:

    I was the dick who automatically profiled these women as the stereotypical Grandma’s I’ve dealt with in past experiences and ultimately ended up being SO in the wrong, I’ve got some shitty karma coming my way.

OR


    Because I tried to throw these nice older women to someone else, me feeling wicked shitty after receiving a 41% tip is karma’s way of kicking me in the junk and telling me I’m an asshole.

    I’d *like* to believe that my feeling so bad in the aftermath of receiving such generous offer is all the wrath karma is going to throw my way and all my ad karma is said said and done…but I’ve been around to witness the luck I usually get…and from my past experiences…damn…I’m fucked.

You guys have any input?

5 comments:

  1. Haha, pretty funny that the old ladies left you with the bill. Profiling is a problem we as Americans have been facing for hundreds of years. Depending the way to walk or talk, people come to quick conclusions about you. It makes me think back to this weekend. I was raising money by asking for donations in intersections. You would think the care with the big rims, the Mercedes, BMW, or Escalade. Wrong! They weren't giving anything but the few pennies stuck in the side door, but the old lady in the beat up truck, with 3 kids, all with a happy meal in their lap gave 10 dollars. Never judge a book by its cover, you never know how someone is in the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what... Its so true that when you have a job, whatever has to do with what you do, you criticize!
    I work at an optical office and every person I see on either T.V. or in person, I check to see if their glasses fit right, if they have any coatings on their glasses, and what designer they have on..
    I cant go any where without getting mad with seeing someone's glasses all funked up on their face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the disadvantage of working in a service industry. It makes it so you can never enjoy being served again. I feel the same cynicism when ever I see someone doing one of my former jobs not as well as I think they should. A blessing and a curse is that I used to be a mechanic. I never think my mechanics are doing as well as they could but I also know when they're trying to screw me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After many years of working in the service industry, I can relate to profiling such customers. But in the end, it is hard judge a book by its cover. I have been shocked by the customers who really looked liked they could barely afford the meal let alone the tip. On the other hand,I have received very large tips from some of the best of them. I worked in a 4 star hotel. While working room services, my co worker and I was receiving large unusual orders for champaigne, seafood and lobster trays andf just about anything off the menu and more. We refered to him as the man with the red shoes. This actually that stood out about him. By the end of the night, jointly, we had earned $450.00 in tips. We were elated. Then several weeks later we were informed the man in the red shoes was using a stolen credit card and having a great time on it. Our bosses wanted us to refund the tips and after much arguements, we were allowed to keep it.

    Whether, it's $40 or $450 in the food industry, a great tip is a booster that ofsets those days when we don't make much. The one thing all servicers know, the acutal best tippers are servers and bartenders themsleves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean by stereotyping these women because I did it all the time when I was a server. It is hard not to and I wouldn't feel bad because a lot of the "stereotypes" have acted in ways to make themselves look this way. As a worker, it is your job to treat every customer with good service and kindness however it is our job to pick and chose who we want to cater to. After all, we are working for minimum wage and rely 90% on tips. When I bartend on busy nights, I automatically pick and choose who I serve based on what I already know about these people. Sad but true. If I see a bunch of young (probably underage) girls at the sitting at the bar screaming for drinks vs. a couple older business men, I would go straight for the men knowing my chance of getting more tips is greater. Yes I would feel bad if the girls end up tipping me more, but all I would do is keep them in the back of my head and offer them better service when they come back. I can see as a waiter it is harder to choose who you want to serve but the thoughts of stereotyping customers always happens with workers in the industry.

    ReplyDelete